The New York International Children’s Film Festival (NYICFF; for ages 3-18) is running from today, March 4, 2011 until March 27, 2011. The NYICFF includes over 100 films from around the world, director Q&As, parties, the NYICFF Awards Ceremony, and more! For the first time in 2011, NYICFF is an Oscar®-qualifying festival for short films.
Here is a bit more about the organization:
NYICFF was founded in 1997 to promote intelligent, passionate, provocative cinematic works for ages 3-18 and to help define a more compelling film for kids. Since its launch, the event has grown to become the largest festival for children and teens in North America, with a paid audience of over 20,000 attending the most recent event. Since 2000, all screenings have sold out in advance.
Each year the festival presents 100 animated, live action and experimental shorts and features from around the world plus gala premieres, retrospectives, filmmaker Q&As, workshops, audience voting, and the NYICFF Awards Ceremony. But the festival has become much more than just an annual event; NYICFF now offers year-round film programming, a touring festival, an online festival, and film production workshops for children ages 6-16.
- Adam Gopnik – Author, essayist and New Yorker contributor
- Lynne McVeigh – Associate Professor of Children’s Media at NYU Tisch School of the Arts
- Matthew Modine – Award-winning actor (Full Metal Jacket, Birdy)
- Michel Ocelot – Award-winning writer/director/animator (Azur & Asmar, Kirikou and the Sorceress)
- Dana Points – Editor-in-Chief of Parents Magazine
- Susan Sarandon – Academy Award winning actor (Dead Man Walking, The Lovely Bones)
- James Schamus – Award winning writer/producer (Brokeback Mountain, The Ice Storm)
- Evan Shapiro – President of IFC Television and The Sundance Channel
- Uma Thurman – Academy Award-nominated actor (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2)
- John Turturro – Award-winning actor (O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Barton Fink)
- Christine Vachon – Award-winning producer (I’m Not There, Boys Don’t Cry)
- Gus Van Sant – Academy Award-nominated director (Milk, Good Will Hunting)
Here is the listing of the films and schedule.