The National Association of Independent Schools is an industry association for private schools and other independent schools. It has different levels of membership for schools that join. Here are the membership levels in a nutshell:
- Full Membership – Reserved for independent non-profit schools that are fully accredited from an accreditation program approved by NAIS.
- Provisional Membership – Reserved for independent non-profit private schools on the road to meeting NAIS requirements.
- Premium Subscription – Reserved for independent proprietary schools and international schools that cannot meet NAIS requirements for membership.
- New Independent Subscription – Reserved for independent non-profit schools in the U.S. less than 5 years old unable to meet NAIS requirements.
- International Subscription – For independent non-profit schools located outside the U.S.
- Multi-Campus School – Reserved for subscriber schools with more than one campus and satellite schools of NAIS members schools.
These distinctions are made to help parents evaluate potential schools for their children. NAIS provides parents with a guide that is helpful in learning about independent schools and that can be used to help you find the right school for your child.
If you want to know how to find a school in New York City or how to apply to a school so that your chances of acceptance are greater, NAIS is a great resource.