Scheduled to open grades N-9 in New York City in Fall 2012, Avenues: The World School, strives to be a global school. Eventually, the school will be N-12, with the first graduating class in 2016.
With its headquarters in NYC, over twenty campuses are planned over the next decade in cities such as:
- Latin and Central America
São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Mexico City
- United States
New York, Chicago, Washington, Los Angeles, San Francisco
Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing
- Pacific Rim
Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, Sydney
- Middle East
Abu Dhabi, Doha
London, Paris, Moscow, Madrid, Milan, Frankfurt
The mission of Avenues is to educate children who are academically astute, fluent in a second language, emotionally balanced, humble yet passionate, self confident, and comfortable transcending their own culture.
The Avenues curriculum will include The World Course of global studies which includes such topics as world geography, environmental sustainability, economics and trade, world religions, and demography. Dr. Fernando M. Reimers, Ford Foundation Professor of International Education and Director of the International Education Policy Program at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, will lead the team of global experts and school faculty who will develop these courses.
Once its 20-plus campuses have been established, Avenues expects to provide students with opportunities to study on five different continents to facilitate cross-cultural collaborations. School founders believe this type of education is necessary to meet the growing demands of an interconnected, global village.
As of August, 2011, over 1,200 applicants have already applied for Avenues early admissions (June 15, 2011 deadline), 3500 parents have attended 51 parent information events, and 3200 have registered for the first part of the application process.
Avenues executive team includes: Benno Schmidt, Chairman; Chris Whittle, CEO; and Alan Greenberg, President.
Avenues’ academic leadership team includes:
- Tyler Tingley, Co-Head of School (headed Phillips Exeter Academy for 12 years)
- Robert “Skip” Mattoon, Co-Head of School (led Hotchkiss School for 11 years)
- Gardner Dunnan, Academic Dean & Head of Upper School (headed Dalton School for 23 years)
- Nancy Shulman, Head of Early Learning Center (director of 92nd Street Y Nursery School for 20 years)
- Elizabeth Hixon, Head of Lower School (served as middle school director at Dalton since 2003)
- Tom Bonnell, Head of Middle School (head of Savannah Country Day School in Georgia for 5 years)
- Sarah Bayne, Director of Educational Design (head of Hillbrook School in California for 10 years)
Avenues have several upcoming parental information events for parents interested in their children entering in the Fall of 2012. Dates for these events are:
- Tuesday, August 16 (fully booked)
- Tuesday, August 23
- Wednesday, August 24
Each event is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Avenues headquarters in New York. For more information, visit the Avenues website.