Le Jardin A L’Ouest is a French-American Preschool located in Manhattan on West 83rd Street.
Le Jardin A L’Ouest means “Garden of the West.” The school serves young children ages 2 through 5. Started in 1972, Le Jardin is dedicated to providing a bilingual education to children with a French descent but whose parents have decided to remain American.
Teachers at the school are native French speakers and spend their time interacting with children in both French and English. The school focuses on the following goals:
- Helping children to grow in two cultures and learn two languages.
- To understand and treat each child and family as unique.
- To leave a lasting impression upon each child that enters the school.
- To view art as an important part of primary education.
- To share knowledge with children while learning from them.
The curriculum at Le Jardin A L’Ouest involves social and emotional development goals, French language and literacy, art and creative representation, logic and mathematics, science, physical development, music, and practical life goals training. These goals are performed within the context of a nursery school environment as well as pre-kindergarten.
The nursery school is open to children 2 1/2 years old to 3 1/2 years old. Preschool is open to children 3 1/2 years to 4 years 11 months as of September. For more information about Le Jardin A L’Ouest, visit the school’s website.